Day 5: Transform Stress into Courage and Confidence
So far a lot of what I’ve shared in this 3o days “Stress Hacks” series has been theory and mindset stuff.
Don’t get me wrong, that’s important and I will continue to share more throughout the month. But what about the practical question: “how do i get out of my comfort zone“?
There’s something to be said for simple, actionable tips or stress hacks. That’s what today’s blog post is all about.
It’s simple and something you can, and should do today.
But while it’s simple, it’s not always the easiest thing to do.
The idea is to pick something you’re scared of (or worried about, or putting off because you’re not sure you can do it) and do it anyway.
I challenge you to start doing this today and then continue it as often as possible.
Going forward, you should do something to get out of your comfort zone several times per week. That’s the only way push your way out of your comfort zone.
Obviously what you pick to do will be very individual and different from person to person.
That being said, it helps to look at some ideas to get started. This will give you a feel for the type of stuff I’m talking about and the scope of it.
How Do I Get out of My Comfort Zone? It’s Easier Than You Think!
Maybe you think it has to be a big scary thing that I’m asking you to do. It’s NOT!
Actually, it can be something much smaller that you can actually see yourself doing.
Check out the examples below.
Maybe you like the idea getting out of your comfort zone, but can’t think of a single thing you could do today.
The list of ideas may spark a thought for something unique to you that you can do.
- Fast for a day or until dinner.
- Skip coffee and other caffeinated drinks for the day.
- Don’t let yourself hit the snooze button. Get up as soon as your alarm goes off.
- Ask a friend to go for a walk with you once a week.
- Go introduce yourself to the new neighbors.
- Ask your boss for a raise.
- Ask your boss for a day off
- Approach you boss and ask for flexible working hours
- Let your child go on a sleep-over.
- Go out to lunch by yourself
Book a surprise weekend trip for yourself and your partner.
- Sign up for that class you’ve always wanted to take.
- Try a new cooking technique or a new food.
- Fix that toilet yourself with the help of YouTube.
- Share a picture of yourself and your weight loss or fitness plans on social media.
- Invite a friend over for a drink even though your house is a mess.
- Make a doctor’s appointment for a check-up.
- Approach a colleague you do not get along with and invite her out to lunch
- Approach a friend or family member you had an argument with and mend the relationship
- Take a new way home from work to avoid traffic
- Approach someone who intimidates you and compliment them.
- Have a difficult conversation face to face instead of email/text/phone.
- Buy adult coloring books, your favorite ice-cream, & invite the funniest person you know over.
Call your Mother just to tell her how much you love her.
- Lead your friend/significant other to a beautiful place blindfolded, bring picnic supplies.
- Go to a restaurant, convince the cook to create something completely new for you.
- Make a new recipe you’ve never tried before.
- Say no to something you don’t like to do but often do out of guilt.
- Buy a pack of sticky notes. Start anonymously leaving compliments around for friends, coworkers, spouse/partner or strangers.
- Unplug from email, social media and your phone for 24 hrs. ( now THAT’s scary, isn’t it?)
Take a day trip to somewhere you’ve always wanted to go.
- Buy lunch for a homeless person, or better yet, take them out to lunch and hear their story.
- Raise money for a charity. ( use a yard sale, or bake sale )
- Ask for constructive criticism at work ( Now THAT’s scary…especially if you’re the boss)
- Try a new food (like a new fruit, or seaweed!)
- Invite a co-worker you don’t know well to lunch and get to know them better.
- Bake cookies ( or any other dish) and take to the neighbor
- Set up a tent and camp in your backyard. ( I promise you, it’s a LOT of fun!)
- Play hooky from work. Spend it doing something FUN or for yourself.
- Dress up for no good reason, or wear something you normally wouldn’t.
- Call an old friend it’s long overdue or reconnect with someone from your past.
- Give an HONEST opinion instead of a canned safe one.
- Spend a whole day answering the question, “How are you today?” with the response, “Outstanding! How are you?” (It’s more uncomfortable than you think).
- Bake some cookies for the old folks home.
- Spend an afternoon volunteering at the old folks home
“Don’t be afraid of your fears. They’re not there to scare you. They’re there to let you know that something is worth it.“― C. JoyBell C.
So what about the practical question: “how do i get out of my comfort zone”?
I hope this gives you some ideas and inspiration to get started.
Now, go make it a habit to regularly do things that scare you a little.
When you make yourself do them, and work through that fear or resistance, you’ll come out stronger and more confident on the other side.
Doing what you’re scared of is a great courage building habit.
Use the comment box below to tell me: which one of the 45 ideas you will use to step out of your comfort zone?